Epistasis versus Linked Genes

Epistasis

Epistasis is used to describe the situation where one gene can mask the phenotypic effects of a different gene.
Typically, the two genes are involves in an enzymatic pathway that affects ONE phenotype.


CASE: When Bateson and Punnett crosses two different varieties of white-flowered plants, all their F1 generation plants had purple flowers!!!

Colorless precursor ---EnzymeC--> Colourless intermediate ---EnzymeP---> Purple pigment

Imagine the crossing: CCPP x ccPP --> CcPp (both genes have a dominant allele; enzyme C and P are functional)

However for the F2 generation you get a ratio of 9 purple :7 white !

If you work out the punnett square for CcPp x CcPp, would you be able to determine which gametic combination will give rise to the white phenotype?


-------------------

For linked genes, we are usually refering to two different phenotypes that will be expressed still

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Revered Greetings, Honourable Chansensei, SIR!

With a touch of irony, SORRY FOR SCREECHING WITH GREAT GLEE ABOUT THE BOOKS YOU READ TODAY!

OH AND YOU LIKE DAN SIMMONS. He is very good, but I liked Hyperion better. I nod emphatically.

Hmmm do you read Samuel Delany too? He wrote Babel 17. Oryx and Crake is excellent Atwood. I really like Cat's Eye, Blind Assasin and Handmaids Tale too.
Before I start a potentially mumbo-jumbo-ish discussion on themes I like...

I know this is highly irrelevant, and I shall go study biology now. I just tend to get excited easily, discerningly of course. And I do suppose you do know who I am, otherwise that is fine too, I can just remain an anonymous enigma!

About the questions we have to ask you, it is best done face to face and with Utmost Gravity. Maintain balance, SIR!

CJWD said...

Enigma you are not because we are all bowled over by your verbal diarrhea in the afternoon. :P

I will check out those books when time finally permits in the awaited future. And I have not been updating that page for a long time so I guess I will do so later since I did a fiction marathon in June.

I used to be a fantasy + drama person and started on sci-fic only 2 years back. The book you can not miss for sci-fic which really got me started was Orson Scott Card's Ender Game. Fabulous fabulous.

I shall await the question with weights on my ankles.

Post a Comment