What will become of Tibet

This is so totally irrelevant to the title but I will still write in this post. =P
On Fri, I asked a class of mine the question: Folding and glycosylation of polypeptide occurs in the lumen of RER. T or F?

Answer is T.
As the polypeptide thread through the membrane into the lumen of RER , folding do occur and subsequently glycosylation. As we understood today, glycosylation can also occur in Golgi apparatus but the main event there is the modification of the carbohydrate units.

Enuff said, to simplify matter however, Cam-B recognises Golgi to be the site for glycosylation - so if you are given a choice.....


---------------------------

I am definitely not a man of politics but I couldn't help but get intrigued by this whole ti-bet olympics affairs that had been brewing for months. A few weeks ago, a student came up to me out of the blue in the canteen and ask me for my opinion on the matter. And I asked, how much do our youths know about the story behind Tibet?

Tibet has always been a mystical country - more so in the past than now - where I have always wanted to travel to since young. All this hoo ha came about because if anyone has the chance to catch the documentary: cry of the snow lion, you will understand the capture, the changes and the anguish of the tibetians when China marched into the country under falsehood of friendship and a call of modernisation in 1940s to effectively purge an indigenous population. Some called it a genocide because of the suppression and eradication of a unique culture and language as the years progressed on with the Chinese presence in the country.

Am I being sympathetic and pointing fingers at different groups? Nah. I just telling a story because I just saw a tv show on this issue and it brought back memories

Two years ago I visited Tibet and the Chinese was definitely conspicious with the presence of those typical shops found in other states. In fact, incentives were given for working there e.g. Chinese worker gets 3x his typical pay if he choose to work there and someone told me that changes had been rapid in the last 5 years and you can be sure of more with the opening of the new train express linking China to Tibet.

Where will we go from here? I have no idea but I am glad I was there before all these mess came around.





0 comments:

Post a Comment