Fat Invasion

Holding on to my cup of hot Friday afternoon tea that usually accompanies a long day in school, a group of freshmen jaunted past me and trooped into the 7-11 with glee.
The first and almost funny thought flashed through my mind: our kids are getting FAT!!!
Studies with the American schools had been done to evaluate the health status of their high school canteen and environment, especially with their high obseity rate. Although I can be assured of the more healthy choices in our canteen food, I also remembered that one of the first measure carried out to fight obesity was the removal of soft drink vending machines throughout the school and replace them with water coolers. That move was a success and the students did have a healthy option without glucose-laden drinks as a staple in their daily lives.
Then I turned around to look at the Big Gulp that was brought out, and wondered about the effects of a 7-11 in school.
Perhaps the consolation is the high metabolism of our growing students, who are constantly burning up their brain cells (metaphorically) and muscle glycogen. But some things are best not to be developed into an acquired taste becaues when senescence sets in like what is happening to me now, eating habits do have to change.
Mmm..perhaps I should be more worried about the teachers who choose to frequent 7-11 more =).

7-11 felt like a thing of the past. I can still remember when it first open its flagship store and my first surplee sundae and their expired hip-ness. Nevertheless, when you ever go Japan, the original 7-11 are definitely more cool. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment