Wedding of Uncle

There were many promises to talk about this and that but as I stared at this screen, I got lost with my train of thoughts. The past few weeks have been busy and on Thurs, I was so tired that I nearly knocked into the wall so the weekend was a time for a good rest.
I went for my NS squad mate's wedding on Sat. We called him Uncle because he really looked beyond his years hahaha (at least 10 yrs) with ah peh's belly, stubs and hairdo but Uncle looked positively rejuvenated on his big day =).
That day when I met up with my long-lost softball pitcher, we talked about friends and weddings and how he has been turning down wedding invitations these days when too many come in. Although I haven't seen Uncle for years, ,his is one that I wouldn't miss. Uncle is a kind and generous soul and he took care of us during training days and I loved taking a ride on his bike hee because I enjoyed it when the bike makes a turn and your CG is off and you feel like falling for a while. (why am I talking about this?)

Back to the wedding. Actually, as a standard, one's red packet to a newly-wed can be pegged to the hotel or resturant he/she is holding the banquet. But I usually don't give a dam*. I will give based on his/her importance of me, in terms of friendship. Yet, when I arrived at the resturant, I did wonder if I have prepared more than the market rate. But the hesitation lasted only a while and I still give the original amount I planned for.
During the dinner, I met 3 of my squad-mates whom I have not seen for quite a while and we four gobbled down 10-person worth of dinner since no one wants to sit with us, and still lamented about how everyone is getting fat.
Then I overheard the waitress talking to her friend in Hokkien about Uncle being very generous with his selection of dishes, taking care of his guests with good food and how lucky the bride is. That conversation brought a smile to my face because it reminded me the goodness and sincerity of Uncle's heart and a reflection of his character which I couldn't agree more. And I realized that the ang pow I given was well-justified because it was really my appreciation of his friendship.

I am not sure when I will see Uncle again but am I glad that he had finally found someone to share his life with (given the fact that his BGR was a barrack topic last time)

---- Just a random thought. A student asked me about the wedding and in which 5 stars hotel it was held. Although this wedding was not held in any great hotel but in a resturant but I thought there was a lot of sincerity in it and I left the resturant, fatter and happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment