stepping up

since the return of the blog, there had been a flood of reactions, some of which made me think alot. Putting aside the school work I had to clear, I wish for this entry as a reflection piece to mull over.
I think my students from another time will concur that I can be very serious and I am serious about the work I do, in and out of classes. It is not all about smiles and laughs with me.
I used to mentor and had worked closely with student leaders, the community and was heavily involved in service-learning. My expectations of my students are high although I had tamed them recently as I tried to figure out what I can expect from the youth I handled these days. As I touchbased with myself these few days, I queried if the youths I see these days are mature enough to step it up. A few hold promise and potential but are caught up in the immediate trivial fun to stop and consider the big picture and do what is right and not what is fun. This is where the line is cut.

Even with this blog, as I recollect the purpose of setting this up, those moments of thoughts that were penned down in here were not trivialities. Those are something I had chosen to share so that we will begin to look beyond ourselves and become more aware of people and situations around us. There were also more poignant moments I shared with my ex-students esp towards the end of my teaching journey in the last cycle. 
I would hardly think that they are some exciting discoveries for whatever is here is meant to be here. But to trivialise them into some kind of 'jokes'.....I am not sure. what does it say about the people who do so?

As I slowly understand the entry level, I am stepping up my game.  Yes, to me, school is not all about grades, there are many aspects of it. One of it, at this stage, is the development of a mature young adult who can take on responsbilities, be a leader and to care for those around them. Fun and responsibilites, they are not mutual exclusive. It takes a fine mind, some experiences and even hard knocks to realise it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment