FaV

2 years later, out of the blue, I got a call from Melvin which brought a smile to my face.
A dinner at pepperoni and one of them drove to pick me up. It was like a role reversal but was nice :)
I am definitely not the best conversationalist in the world but I enjoyed basking in the atmosphere, hearing them moved on to a new phase in life, chartering new grounds, like we all once did. And to know that they are doing fine. In fact, I finally hear from Yam boy which I thought of a few pages ago and that was great.
my heart smiled and chuckled throughout the night, even when I din say much.
Isaac recalled my chronic sleep deficiency while teaching them and I recalled the those days in classrooms when the afternoon sun will shine in and all those funny antics they have. I remembered the day when they received their A's results and those times we spent before A's to consolidate their content.
(Besides them, others included) there were those late nights in the canteen, library and at random times, sometimes until the school closed. I remembered going home late all the time but yet still enjoying those moments when I walked past the canteen because I would always meet some students from my classes and others as well who liked to test me on content :). This year there wasn't so much of it though.

These are a bunch of great kids. They fooled around, played paper soccer in classroom, keep talking incessantly in class in the first row, drew on each other's faces, dozed off at times. How did I survive through all these? =P Then you looked beyond that to see the great hearts they have and to remind myself that in education, it is not all about the grades and how meek the students are that define them (as some deemed). They too need the freedom to explore about themselves and learn. For some, they are already at that stage of their needs but for others, this came later in life or they are in the midst of it all while in jc. So we give them the space to think for themselves, and take ownership of their choices. These kids also have much to offer with their creativity, their sincerity, their determination (even when it came toward the ends) and their generosity - these will take them far in life and I think they are doing great! yup! I still remembered their cheekiness in doing a row of flowers at the start of lectures.- wished i have taken a pic :)

[In case I am being accused of favourtism, there were of cos many 07students whom I have met here and there and who also brought back great memories. But during this part of the year, reflections are the norm (with more time at hand) and there are things I want to pen down to remind myself and also to others after the string of conversations last night. =) ]

0 comments:

Post a Comment